Monday, February 25, 2008

On Having Kids

There is always something going on with my kids everyday. From their first few nights of incessant crying and sleeping, to the day they started to first step without help, to the day they turned 1, to the day they first spoke "Mama" and "Dada", to the day they understood what a potty's role is to their existence, there is always something that needs to be addressed. I have 2 kids, 2 toddlers to be exact. One is 2 years old and the other one is 3 turning 4 next month. To all mothers (and fathers as well)out there, remember those days when they just sit and stare at you when you talk to them, in those times I felt that I was in a rush to hear their first word or talk their first sentence. Now that my kids are able to make their needs known through verbal communication aka talking in short simple sometimes awkward language, they are now starting the arduous process of the simple argument. They always compete in almost about everything, to who gets to be carried by mom(kugos), to who gets to be heard first, to who goes to Disneyworld or not. They tease a lot. It's the big brother who teases his little sister a lot, but these past few days, the 2 year old little girl is starting to start the "small" arguments with her kuya, ranging from who gets to go to Disney or who gets to hold the "Three Little Pigs" book during bedtime storytime. They argue from small things to the most minute thing. During travel time in the car, I could not feel any sense of peace during the trip coz all I hear are their incessant argument at the back of the car, with matching yelling to and fro, then the "loser" cries at the end. For example,while she was humming a nursery rhyme one time,my 2 year old girl got upset when her kuya asked her to be quiet while inside the car. In return, the little girl in her own simple vocabulary told the elder one, "Di-li kuyog Disneyland", which made the boy upset and the vicious cycle continues. If I knew that this is going to happen, perhaps I should have not rushed to wish that they would talk the soonest. I am wondering how their days would go on without seeing the other. I bet they would not miss each other. Sibling rivalry, unfortunately, it happens, and it is happening to my kids who are still small at heart and at body. I wish it would stop.

2 comments:

Rey Abao-Dacalos said...

coola... your kids still know bisaya? whew.... proud cebuana!

Georgina said...

Yes, as much as possible, we talk Cebuano to them at home, and that's the only place and time that they get to learn the language. Everything is English-based in their environment, books, tv, friends, preschool; this is just to give you an idea that it's hard to inculcate the language if not practiced so often. We try.